The only constant thing in marketing is – change! Every year we see new trends, technologies, and tactics in the marketing industry.
When the pandemic first broke out, businesses embraced digital transformation more than ever as they adapted to the virtual working environment. They also increased their digital marketing budget while minimizing traditional marketing.
Looking for Seo Companies? Check out Zensuggest’s list of the best Seo Services Providers.
Then, as countries cautiously reopened and people started going out, businesses again saw a reduction in virtual engagement and online traffic. As a marketer, keeping up with these changes is not easy.
A great way to stay relevant to these changes is by updating yourself with the latest marketing statistics.
Whether you’re into SEO, content marketing, email marketing, social media marketing, lead generation, or advertising, this list of statistics will help you optimize your campaigns and attract more customers.
Let’s start with SEO.
Search Engine Optimization Statistics
Search engine optimization or SEO helps you improve your website’s ranking on Google and enables you to reach your target audience to increase bottom-line results. The following SEO statistics will help you understand the importance of SEO, learn about the changing consumer behavior and fine-tune your marketing strategy.
- Google Search, Google Images, and Google Maps account for 91.94% of global traffic. (Statcounter, December 2021)
- The first result in Google has an average of 3.8x more backlinks than positions #2-10. (Backlinko, 2020)
- About 69% of marketers invested time and money in search engine optimization in 2021, up from 64% in 2020. (HubSpot, 2021)
- Websites that rank on page 1 of Google contain an average of 1,447 words. (Backlinko, 2020)
- Google uses 810 features on its SERPs. Each feature is tailored to a certain type of search or search intent. (seoClarity, 2020).
- There’s zero correlation between using a keyword in your title tag and higher rankings on the first page. (Backlinko, 2020)
- HTTPS websites account for 70.4% of voice search result pages. (Backlinko, 2018).
- Around 75% of voice search results are from one of the top 3 desktop ranking pages for a given query. (Backlinko, 2018).
- 48% of consumers use voice technology for general search queries. (Search Engine Land 2019)
- 55% of the US households will have voice-enabled smart speakers by 2022. (Tech Crunch)
- More than 30% of US internet users have used a voice assistant to look for product information or purchase products. (Invesp, 2021)
- 58% of consumers use voice search to find local business information. (Invoca, 2021)
- 93% of consumers used the internet to find a local business, with 34% searching every day. (BrightLocal, 2020)
- 42% of millennials who perform a local search will visit the company most of the time. (ReviewTrackers, 2021)
- Sadly, 58% of businesses don’t optimize for local search. (ReviewTrackers, 2021)
- The top 3 Local Pack/Finder Ranking factors are Google My Business (36%), reviews (17%), and on-page (16%) optimization. (Whitespark, 2021)
- The top 3 local organic ranking factors are on-page (34%), links (31%), and behavioral (11%). (Whitespark, 2021)
- 24.4% of all clicks go to the first result of local business searches. (Safari Digital, 2021)
- Mobile devices account for 54.8% of global website traffic. (Statista, 2021)
- Mobile results have an 85.8% more click-through rate than desktop results. (seoClarity, 2021)
- Mobile retail commerce sales accounted for 72.9% of total retail eCommerce sales in 2021. (Statista, 2021)
- 63% of smartphone users are more likely to purchase from companies whose mobile sites or apps offer personalized recommendations. (Moengage, 2021)
- Marketers and advertisers put 51% of their budget into mobile ads. (Digital Examiner, 2021)
- 80% of B2B buyers use a mobile device to make purchases. (Digital Examiner, 2021)
Content Marketing Statistics
Content marketing has become more important than ever. Not only does it help you showcase your expertise in your niche, but it also helps you address the pain points of your target audience and generate more leads. Here are some latest statistics to help you enhance your content marketing game.
- 82% of businesses are actively investing in content marketing. (HubSpot, 2021)
- Websites that have a blog attract 55% more traffic. (Backlinko, 2021)
- Sales and web traffic are the two most common measurements of success for content marketing strategies. (HubSpot, 2021)
- Companies that use blogging as a marketing tool are 13 times more likely to get a positive ROI than those that don’t. (Content Writing Jobs, 2021)
- Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates three times as many leads. (Showpad, 2020)
- 95% of the B2B buyers consider content a reliable marker when evaluating a business. (Ziflow, 2021)
- 61% of marketers said updating/repurposing existing content was the most efficient tactic. (Blogging Wizard, 2022)
- Organic search is the top content distribution channel (89%), followed by social media (87%). (Blogging Wizard, 2022)
- Long blog posts receive 77.2% more inbound links compared to shorter posts. (First Site Guide, 2021)
- The most common type of content produced by marketers is the blog (85%), followed by infographics (61%) and guest posts (55%). (First Site Guide, 2021)
- 76% of companies plan to publish 1-10 guest posts per week. (SEMrush, 2021)
- 34% of bloggers say they experience strong results after including videos in blog posts. (SEMrush, 2021)
- Only 66% of B2B marketers frequently prioritize their audience’s needs over their sales message when creating content. (Siege Media, 2021)
- The podcast market is expected to reach more than 2 billion by 2023, indicating that marketers are devoting a significant amount of time and money to the channel. (HubSpot, 2021)
Email Marketing Statistics
Email has proven to be the most cost-effective and impactful digital marketing channel for years. Besides, emails are a great source for reaching your customers directly and getting their attention (provided you’re doing it the right way). Here is what statistics have to say about email marketing in 2022.
- 70% of companies invest in email marketing. (HubSpot, 2021)
- Nearly 1 in 5 email campaigns is not optimized for mobile devices. (Benchmark, 2021)
- Across all industries, the average email open rate is 22.60%, the click-through rate is 1.40%, and the bounce rate is 10.29%. (Constant Contact, 2021)
- Marketers found that email collection forms (on websites) were the most successful at converting viewers, with a 15% conversion rate in 2020. (HubSpot, 2021)
- Welcome emails are the king of engagement, with a whopping 86% average open rate. (GetResponse, 2021)
- 74% of Baby Boomers consider email as the most personal channel to receive communications from brands, followed by 72% of Gen X, 64% of Millennials, and 60% of Gen Z. (Bluecore, 2021)
- 77% of marketers have seen an increase in engagement with email marketing over the past 12 months. (HubSpot, 2021)
- The best performing subject lines are the ones that have between 241 and 250 characters. (GetResponse, 2021)
- On average, 51% of companies use email automation. 47% of marketers say automation is worth the price. (Snovio, 2021)
- Marketers who implement segmented campaigns see as much as a 760% increase in revenue. (HubSpot, 2021)
- Businesses that include A/B testing as a part of their email program generate an ROI of 42:1, compared to an ROI of 23:1 for those that don’t. (Litmus, 2021)
- Emails that contain images see an average open rate of 21.44% and a click-through rate of 2.68% compared to text-only emails (15.02% and 1.56%). (GetResponse, 2021)
- The top 3 email marketing tactics are list segmentation (51%), personalization (50%), and triggered emails (45%). (Snovio, 2021)
Social Media Marketing Statistics
Social media has become an inevitable part of our lives. Businesses with a robust presence on social media see an increase in engagement rate and build a loyal customer base quickly than those that don’t. Here are some social media marketing statistics to help you understand the benefits of social media marketing for your business.
- 57.6% of the world’s population uses social media. And the average daily usage is 2 hours and 27 minutes. (Smart Insights, 2021)
- More than 98% of the users of any given social network also use at least one other social platform. This means that a multichannel strategy does not need you to include every single social platform. Having a presence in 1-2 major social networks is enough to reach almost all of the world’s social media users. (Hootsuite, 2021)
- 45% of global internet users turn to social media when researching products or services. (Hootsuite, 2021)
- Facebook is the most popular social platform with 2,853 million active users, followed by YouTube (2,291 million) and Instagram (1,386 million). (Hootsuite, 2021)
- India has the most Facebook users (349.2 million), followed by the United States (193.9 million) and Indonesia (142.5 million). (Statista, 2022)
- 98.3% of Facebook users access the social platform on mobile devices. (Status Brew, 2021)
- Facebook usage among teens has seen a significant drop from 71% to 67%. (Status Brew, 2021)
- The average paid reach vs. total reach is 28.1%. (SMPerth, 2021)
- Facebook ads provide the highest return on investment among all paid advertising channels. (HubSpot, 2020)
- 80% of Instagram stories that contain and emphasize a call to action perform better than those that don’t. (Status Brew, 2021)
- 58% of marketers plan to use Instagram Reels in 2022. (Status Brew, 2021)
- Accounts that posted 7+ posts per week showed the highest follower growth rate. (Neal Schaffer, 2021)
- The average Instagram engagement rate across industries is 1.22% per post. (Sprout Social, 2021)
- Posts with a tagged location result in 79% higher engagement than posts without a tagged location. (HubSpot, 2020)
- TikTok passed the 1 billion monthly active user mark at the end of September 2021. (Status Brew, 2021)
- It has the highest engagement rate than other social platforms. Micro-influencers had engagement rates of 17.96% on TikTok, 3.86% on Instagram, and 1.63% on YouTube. When it comes to mega-influencers, TikTok has an engagement rate of 4.96%, while Instagram and YouTube have an engagement rate of 1.21% and 0.37%, respectively. (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2021)
- Android users spend an average of 13.3 hours on the app a month. (Hootsuite, 2021)
- Vertical videos have a 25% higher 6-second watch-through rate. Those six seconds can make all the difference, especially in a TikTok ad. (Hootsuite, 2021)
- 58.8% of TikTok users are female. (Sprout Social, 2021)
- As of the second quarter of 2021, Twitter has 206 million monetizable daily active users. (Twitter, 2021)
- 79% of marketers will continue investing in Twitter Spaces in 2022. (Status Brew, 2021)
- 82% of B2B content marketers used Twitter for organic content marketing in the last 12 months. (Hootsuite, 2021)
- 70% of Twitter users are male. (Hootsuite, 2021)
- Twitter website carousel ads see an average 15% increase in CTR over single-asset ads. (Hootsuite, 2021)
- 95% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn for organic content marketing. (SMPerth, 2021).
- Almost 46% of social media traffic to a company’s website comes from LinkedIn. (Status Brew, 2021)
- How-to & list posts perform the best on LinkedIn. (Foundation Inc., 2021)
- Articles with titles between 40-49 characters perform the best on LinkedIn. (Foundation Inc., 2021)
- 80% of B2B leads come from LinkedIn vs. 13% of Twitter and 7% on Facebook. (Foundation Inc., 2021)
Video Marketing Statistics
The global pandemic has accelerated the video adoption and consumption of insightful content related to businesses. If you haven’t invested in video marketing, 2022 is the time. Use videos to educate and empower your target audience while simultaneously generating leads for your business. Here are some statistics to help you get started.
- 87% of marketers say video marketing has helped them increase website traffic. (Backlinko, 2021)
- The top 3 channels to distribute video content are websites (85%), social media (84%), and YouTube (67%). (Backlinko, 2021)
- 69% of people say they prefer to learn about a new product or service by watching a short video. (LemonLight, 2021)
- 81% of marketers plan to include video content in their marketing strategy over the next several years. (LemonLight, 2021)
- 87% of video marketers reported that video helps generate a positive ROI. (Wyzowl, 2021)
- 84% of people say that they’ve been convinced to buy a product or service by watching a brand’s video. (Wyzowl, 2021)
- 43% of marketers say video has reduced the number of support calls they’ve received. (Wyzowl, 2021)
- 59% of executives agree that if both text and video are available on the same topic, they are more likely to choose video. (Small Biz Trends, 2021)
- Users spend 88% more time browsing on websites that have videos. (Invideo, 2021)
- 92% of consumers watch videos on mute, and 50% rely on captions, making it imperative for you to add transcriptions in videos. (Invideo, 2021)
- Video posts on social media get 48% more views. (Invideo, 2021)
- 17% of companies use live video as a part of their social marketing strategy. (HubSpot, 2020)
Paid Advertising Statistics
Paid ads help you reach people who were otherwise unaware of your brand. It also enables you to retarget customers who left your website without completing the purchase. Let’s look at some relevant paid advertising statistics in 2022.
- Paid advertisements have a 200% ROI. (Techjury, 2021)
- 42.7% of internet users worldwide use ad blockers. (Backlinko, 2021)
- PPC generates twice the number of store visits than SEO. (Techjury, 2021)
- Adverts placed on Google Display Network reach up to 90% of the internet users. (PPC Protect, 2021)
- 65% of customers click on PPC ads. (Techjury, 2021)
- Search ads can increase brand awareness much as 80%. (WebFX, 2021)
- 53% of paid clicks are made on mobile devices. (SmallBizGenius, 2021)
- In 2022, 54% of advertising expenditures will be online. (Techjury, 2021)
- Customers are 70% more likely to buy your product if you use retargeting. (Techjury, 2021)
- 80% of marketers allot some ad budget to search, social, display, and remarketing ads. (WebFX, 2021)
- Mobile advertising spending is expected to surpass $308 billion by 2022. (Statista, 2022)
- Sadly, 92% of online paid ads go unnoticed by users. (SmallBizGenius, 2021)
- 41% of clicks in Google searches go to the top three sponsored ads. (SmallBizGenius, 2021)
Statistics are important for every marketer who wants to hop onto the latest trends and make the most out of their efforts. Social media marketing, email marketing, or content marketing, these statistics will help you make an informed decision and better plan out your campaigns.
What do you think will be the game-changing digital marketing trend in 2022? Let us know in the comments.